Daily Bread

Friday, March 23, 2007

Faye's Replacement? U Judge It

My best friend, S asked me not long ago if I would like to listen to a female singer who sings like Faye Wong. Before I proceed, let me tell you a little bit about S and myself. We were ex-roommates during university time and both of us were Faye Wong's super fans. Faye tied us together. However, no more new album from her after 将爱, her last album released in Nov 2003. Both of us have been disappointed with Faye.

I was delighted when S talked about that mysterious singer. I was being skeptical, can someone sing like Faye? I listened to a few of her songs recommended by S. She indeed has a great voice! Focus and fine voice. Now, the questions is, who is she? She is ...

Vincy Chan, 泳兒 is a Cantonese Pop Singer from Hong Kong. She was born in 1982. She was one of the top 24 contestants in Project Superstar Singapore in June 2005. Being the runner up of Emperor Entertainment Group's New Talent Singing Awards 2005, she also won the award of "Most Popular Image". She was famous amongst the HK public because of her song '"My Feelings", 感應, debuted in 2006. Her new album 花无雪 (translated as "Flower Without Snow"??) was just released in Feb 2007 with the song list below:
  1. 花无雪
  2. 天使明明在此
  3. 一时倦了
  4. 倾斜乐园
  5. 黛玉笑了
  6. 爱情鸟
  7. 我是你的乐与怒
  8. 踩钢线
  9. 晕船浪
  10. 卖火柴的女孩
Cannot be denied that she has a great vocal, but her songs are "commercial" to me. Why I call them "commercial"? Because the songs can easily catch the ears of the public. General people will like it. I think it's her company's strategy to bring up a new singer. Just like Faye, most of the people could accept her songs when she first became popular in 1990's. As her songs became more individualistic in the later stage, people either still loved her no matter what, or criticized her. I remember my parents used to describe her songs as "Ghost Songs".

Back to the topic, I especially like 爱情鸟 and 天使明明在此 in this album. 爱情鸟 stands out amongst the rest not only because of her vocal, but because of the piano accompaniment too. As 天使明明在此 might sound "weird" for certain people but I find the uniqueness in its music.

爱情鸟 from YouTube.


天使明明在此 from YouTube.


You can find out more about Vincy from her Official Website.