Daily Bread

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Friends Of The Week

My gang is on the cover this week. We named our gang as "duo-jee-pai". "duo" is means "big" in hokkien. "jee" means "character" and "pai" refers to "gang". There were 4 of us, with nicknames start with "duo". The "duo" character was then combined with the last chinese character of each of our names. After that, each nickname was pronounced in hokkien. It turned out to be very funny. I was the one who came out with this idea. In the end, 3 of them revenged, I also got what I gave - I had a "duo" nickname too. I would like to keep their "duo" nickname as a secret (I don't want to be killed:P), but I can share mine. My last chinese name sounds the same as "mountain", thus it becomes "duo shuo" after being translated into hokkien. "Big Mountain" - sounds awful, rite? You also can try to change your name following the same rules, you will laugh until your stomach hurts!

By the way, I haven't introduced who they are. They are actually my ex-roomates during university time. 4 of us were staying in a big master room and sharing one toilet. Our main activity was CHATTING! (4 girls, what do you think?) I remember we always chatted until 3am, 4am, and sometimes even 5am! That's one of the reasons I missed my 8am class in the next morning. Having supper at 12 midnight was our favorite too. We always ordered Roti Canai, Nasi Lemak with Teh-O-Ice-Limau. Until today, I still couldn't find any Roti Canai and Nasi Lemak as nice as what we had. Perhaps Johor is famous for that.

It was a long story of how we became good friends. To summarize it, it happened in my first year of university time. I was staying in the same block (hostel) with DL1 and DL2. At that time, almost all the girls in that block were from the same course as DL1 and DL2. I didn't understand why I was the only one from my course staying there. DL1 and DL2 were from the opposite rooms, I was very closed to them. One day, a girl from that block told me bad things about DL1. At that time, I didn't think twice and told DL1 about it. And, that girl came to know about it. Unfortunately, that girl was quite influential amongst the girls from the same block, I was isolated by all them. I had never thought that this could happen to me, it was really a rough beginning for me in my 1st year. But, guess what? DL1 and DL2 stood by my side, despite the opposition from their coursemates. They went through the hardship together with me. Our real friendships had been tested. I couldn't remember how hard those girls had been treating me, but the only sweet memory I have is I gained 2 good friends.

How about DM? DM was my roomate in my 3rd year. She naturally became part of us. She was the cutest one. She was very friendly, understanding and "siew lui yan"(cantonese). DL1 had a very strong personality, I could easily read her face, whether she was happy or not. DL1 was extremely outstanding in singing, she could sing any songs just like the original singer. DL2 was the quietest person among us, but all of us agreed that she would be the best girl friend or wife. If she ever loved someone, she would sacrifice everything for that person. She was a shoulder for me to cry on.

I'm glad that we were still good friends now. And, I'm even happier to see all of them found their love ones. Below is the latest picture of 4 of us. I couldn't find a better one, that's the only one I have. Other than the 2 guys and myself, the remaining 3 girls are DL1, DL2 and DM. Feel free to guess which is which :)

*Note: DL1, DL2 and DM are the initials of their respective nicknames. DL1 and DL2 happen to have same initials, so 1 and 2 are used to differentiate them.

2 comments:

power PufF! said...

haha! then mine is 'duo hoon' means those thick keow teow! hahahaha! i know my hokkien is terrible, but i guess this translation is right la :P

Jazlie said...

sorry, not thick keow teow, but it's "BIG NOODLE" ... or "DAI FEN" in cantonese, keke! However, I won't stop u if you prefer keow teow :)